Pet Loss Support Resources
All of us at Affinity Angels understand that the loss of a pet is a deeply painful and emotional experience.
We, ourselves, have experienced and understand the loss of a beloved pet. For that reason, we would like to provide you with options that can soften the pain of your loss.
Some people find consolation in talking to family, friends, coworkers, a counselor, or a support group.
Other people heal by writing about their pet and their feelings in a journal or creating a tribute or memorial to their pet.
The most important things are to be kind to yourself and realize it will take time to heal and that there is no time limit for your grieving process.
There are books available for both adults and children to help with grieving and understanding pet loss.
books for Adults:
- Coping with the Loss of a Pet by Christina M. Lemieux
- The Loss of a Pet by Wallace Sife
- Loving and Losing a Pet by Michael Stern Ph.D. and Susan Cropper DVM
books for Children:
- Lifetimes by Bryan Mellonie and Robert Ingpen
- The Fall of Freddie the Leaf by Leo Buscaglia
- The Tenth Good Thing About Barney by Judith Viorst
Pet Loss Support Hotlines:
- Pet Compassion Careline: 1-855-245-8214 (24/7 Grief support available to all)
- University of Florida: 352-392-2335 ext 4080
- Iam’s Pet Loss Support Center: 888-332-7738
- Cornell University Pet Loss Support: 607-253-3932
We are fortunate enough to have a local pet loss support group at Metropolitan Veterinary Associates: 2626 Van Buren Ave., Norristown PA 19403; 610–666–1050 ext 221. Please call and RSVP in advance for their meetings.